So I found a nice vintage pattern for both shorts and “trunks”… a fabulous but totally gay 70’s pattern. Instantly knew I had to make them, so I grabbed some batiks and started altering them to be as short as possible. Gay or straight, these comfy lounge shorts say one thing… come f**k me!
This was my first time making shorts of any kind, as well as my first time using an edge binding and an elastic waistband. I made multiple pairs of these shorts to perfect my technique and make alterations. Eventually I developed the pattern into something skimpy that works for multiple waist sizes.
I found the double-fold bias tape to work the best as it has more structure than single fold, but you could use whichever you prefer. When sewing the bound edges and side seams, take your time, go slowly and carefully, and use the iron on the sides.
For elastic, I watched plenty of youtube videos, but it still took a little practice. I divided the waistband in quarters, and then pinned it to the outside and zig-zag stitched the edge. Then I turned the band to the inside and straight-stitched it down while gently stretching the elastic.
My first pair was a blue batik, and they were nice… but not short enough. So I shortened them. With each pair I kept refining the inseam, and the curved side-slits until I reached something I’m happy with.